Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec, Canada (June 24, 2012) — Following wins at the last two World Cup stops in Val di Sole, Italy, and Fort William, England, Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) earned his third consecutive UCI Mountain Bike World Cup victory in Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec, Canada. Earlier in the day, Keegan Swenson (Park City, Utah/Cannondale Factory Racing) rode to third place in the juniors men’s cross-country race.
Gwin, the last rider of the day, finished the course in 4:14.022, slightly more than a second ahead of South Africa’s Greg Minaar and two seconds in front of current downhill world champion Danny Hart. The win meant Gwin, who won the overall UCI Mountain Bike World Cup in 2011, increased his lead in the 2012 World Cup standings to 135 points over Minaar.
In the women’s downhill race, Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Team Norco International) posted another top-ten finish for the U.S. after taking home eighth place. Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz.) finished 17th.
Juniors Men’s Cross-country
Keegan Swenson (Park City, Utah/Cannondale Factory Racing) earned a place on the juniors men’s cross-country podium after crossing the line in third. It was Swenson’s second third-place finish and fourth top-ten finish at a World Cup this season.
RockyRoads.net UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano
Mont-Sainte-Anne, Quebec, Canada
June 23-24, 2012
Elite Men’s Downhill
1. Aaron Gwin (Temecula, Calif./Trek World Racing) 4:14.022
2. Greg Minaar (RSA/Santa Cruz Syndicate) +1.307
3. Danny Hart (GBR/Giant Factory Off-Road Team) +2.140
22. Luke Strobel (Issaquah, Wash.) +11.063
23. Richard Rude Jr. (Redding, Conn./Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team) +12.011
31. Eliot Jackson (Westlake Village, Calif./Yeti Fox Shox Factory Race Team) +13.925
38. Austin Warren (Alpine, Calif./DRD Intense) +14.706
45. Mitch Ropelato (Ogden, Utah/Monster Energy-Specialized) +16.237
48. Cody Warren (Alpine, Calif./DRD Intense) +17.779
58. Duncan Riffle (Santa Barbara, Calif./Dirt Norco Race Team) +20.292
Elite Women’s Downhill
1. Rachel Atherton (GBR/GT Factory Racing) 4:49.969
2. Myriam Nicole (FRA/ Commencal/Riding Addiction) +1.842
3. Emmeline Ragot (FRA/MS Mondraker Team) +2.388
8. Jill Kintner (Seattle, Wash./Team Norco International) +17.007
17. Jacqueline Harmony (Sedona, Ariz.) +27.895
Juniors Men’s Cross-country
1. Anton Cooper (NZL/Trek World Racing) 1:09:55
2. Marc-Antoine Nadon (CAN) +6:20
3. Keegan Swenson (Park City, Utah/Cannondale Factory Racing) +6:46
13. Lucas Newcomb (Nicasio, Calif.) +10:13
14. Taylor Smith (Novato, Calif./Cannondale Factory Racing) +10:50
23. Jacob Albrecht (Soquel, Calif./Whole Athlete) +15:46
25. Skyler Taylor (Mill Valley, Calif./Ritte Elite U23 Development Team) +18:26