September is “Curb Your Car Month”
New Campaign Encourages Driving Less
UTA Rideshare, working with a coalition of local governments and bicycle advocacy groups, encourages Salt Lake commuters to go on a “low-car diet” during the month of September.
“Curb Your Car Month” features fun and educational events, ranging from alternative transportation exhibits to the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Bike to Work Day bicycle ride. The purpose of the campaign is to inspire and motivate the community to drive less and utilize sustainable transportation options such as public transit, bicycling, walking, carpooling or vanpooling.
“Curb Your Car Month” is a perfect time to explore different ways to get to work without driving alone,” says Shaina Miron Quinn, marketing specialist, UTA Rideshare. “There are many reasons to think about changing your commute you can improve your health, save money, conserve energy, get out of traffic and reduce air pollution and Salt Lake County has lots of options."
The key event during “Curb Your Car Month” is the two-week Commuter Challenge from September 11th to September 22nd. During the Commuter Challenge, Salt Lake County organizations compete for prizes by motivating their co-workers to use a sustainable mode of transportation during their daily commutes.
“Encouraging individuals to drive less is something we must address as a community,” says Quinn. “Nearly 190,000 people commute into Salt Lake City every weekday. The “Curb Your Car Month” campaign aims to educate our community about the environmental and social impacts of driving and raise awareness about alternatives to driving alone.”
“Curb Your Car Month” organizers include UTA Rideshare, the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Office, the Salt Lake County Mayor’s Bicycle Advisory Committee, the Salt Lake City Mayor’s Bicycle Advisory Committee, and the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective.
For more information about “Curb Your Car Month” contact Shaina Miron Quinn, UTA Rideshare Marketing Specialist, at 801.287.2066 or visit www.utarideshare.com
“CURB YOUR CAR MONTH” EVENTS
· All September Free bicycle safety checks at the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective
· Saturdays, September 9 & September 23 Bicycle Education Program at the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective. This FREE course teaches important skills and builds confidence for bicycle commuters at all levels. Sponsored by UDOT and Salt Lake County Mayor’s Office. More info: www.slcbikecollective.org
· Monday, September 11 Friday, September 22 Commuter Challenge. The Commuter Challenge is a two-week competition between Salt Lake County organizations. The goal is to encourage more people to use sustainable transportation during their daily commute. Sign up by contacting UTA Rideshare by September 6th.
· Saturday, September 16, 8:00 a.m. 1:00 p.m. Alternative Transportation Day at the Downtown SLC Farmer’s Market. UTA Rideshare hosts booth with a vintage bus, transportation information and giveaways.
· Friday, September 22, 7:30 a.m. Salt Lake City Mayor’s Bike to Work Day. Escorted bike ride with Mayor Rocky Anderson from Liberty Park to Library Square with the ride departing at 7:45 a.m. Bikers will be rewarded with free bagels at Library Square. Press conference to follow.
· Friday, September 22 World Car Free Day. Celebrated by over 100 million people in 1,500 cities around the world. Benefits include changing the way people think about transportation and spotlighting related community programs. Local events are being planned now.