July 4, 2016 – The Cache Gran Fondo, one of Utah’s premier gran fondo events for citizen riders will take place on Saturday, July 9, 2016 in Logan, Utah.
The event will also host the Utah State Masters Road Race Championships (separate start, road race), which is not part of the gran fondo.
The Gran Fondo is open to everyone, and features either a 56 mile course, or a 100 mile course and starts at the Logan Regional Hospital at 6:30 am. The ride funds breast cancer screenings for uninsured women in Cache County.
The masters road race (and also an open category for other racers) will be held on the 56 mile course and is slated to run. Organizer Troy Oldham is set to run the event, and is hoping for more participants in the road race. He sent in this note to Cycling West:
Registration is still open for the State Masters Championships on July 9th during the Cache Gran Fondo. As a mythbuster…let us clear up a few misconceptions, perhaps it might encourage you to join us;
1) Racers start almost 2 hours AFTER the gran fondo riders, on the 50 mile course, so even the slowest recreation riders should be out of your way, BECAUSE;
2) We will turn the racers at the Benson Marina turn off (about mile 35), and come into Logan from the NORTH.
3) Heritage Dodge will be providing Lead Cars and SAG/Wheel cars, along with Cache Co. Sheriff motos to manage intersections for the race portion.
4) Different Finish Line – Racers will finish on their own finish line, separate from the 100 North finish line for the Cache Gran Fondo riders. The only time you will cross paths is going into the food area or beer reception (on foot).
5) Based on the numbers so far, we may only have one or two starting groups (but will prize separately). There are still more prizes than riders.
6) Wasatch Brewery and the Island Market (and Sunrise Bicycles), are hosting a new beer reception at the finish line and if you are over 21, they are talking about ‘free beer’…
7) Masters Championships restrict CAT 5s – HOWEVER, we have an OPEN CAT, and the Gran Fondo will prize it heavily (remember Bear Lake Classic – many of the CAT5s took home items).
8) If you don’t want to race, come do the Cache Gran Fondo 100-mile climb on a special new course up Sardine Canyon to Manua and back…GREAT training ride for LOTOJA and others. https://www.bikereg.com/cache-gran-fondo-2016
9) Breakfast, lunch included. T-shirt, finisher’s medal, free photos, packet pickup in Bountiful and Logan (and day-of), ice cream, etc. PS – we have NEVER had bad weather in the 5 years of the event…maybe a little wind…but nothin but blue skies!
Cache Gran Fondo:
July 9 — Cache Gran Fondo, Logan, UT, 100 and 50 mile gran fondo style ride & tour. This UCA event features canyons, hills, long flats & beautiful Cache Valley vistas. Benefit for Logan Regional Hospital, run by Headspin Events. Grand Prize: FreeMotion Tour de France bike + $1000s dollars in rider prizes. , Troy Oldham, 435-764-2979, [email protected], cachegranfondo.com, loganhospitalfoundation.org
July 9 — Cache Gran Road Race|, UCA Series, Logan, UT, UCA race for licensed racers. 2016 Masters State Championships starting at the Intermountain Hospital in Logan, riders follow a scenic 50-60 mile route through Cache Valley, Utah, ending with a special racer-only sprint finish on Center Street in downtown Logan. UCA Jerseys and awards plus fun festivities and lunch., Troy Oldham, 435-764-2979, [email protected], cachegranfondo.com